CREATIVE WRITING AWARDS
Call for Applicatons
The Bombay Review is now inviting applications for the The Annual Awards for Creative Writing, an international literary prize for both emerging and established writers. The winner(s) will be judged by an eminent panel and will receive a cash prize of $350 with total cash prizes up to $1,000.
Last date for entries: 31st December, 2020
What are we looking for?
Great short fiction creative writing!
Important note: We will send out a status update of your submission including intimation of shortlisted and longlisted applicants within 30 days of receipt. The entries are NOT judged all together at the end of submission period, but on a monthly basis.
- July 2020 – Entries open
- August to December – Monthly shortlists announced
- December 2020 – Entries close
- March 2021 – Winners and finalists are announced
- April 2021 – Award is conferred in a ceremony
Prizes (Up to $1,000)
- ₹25,000 / $350 prize money for winner
- ₹15,000 / $200 prize money for 1st place in New and Upcoming Writing
- ₹5,000 / $70 prize money for 2nd and 3rd place in New and Upcoming Writing
- Publication in The Bombay Review and/or partner magazines
- Professional consultation with a literary agent
- Selection of books from one leading publisher
- One year print subscription to The Paris Review and/or Tin House
- We are only looking for Short Fiction presently (Poetry award applications to open shortly)
- Word count should be between 2000 and 6000
- Works should be previously unpublished (personal blog included)
- You may enter the award as many times as you wish
- Each new entry should be a separate submission with fee
- English entries only, we are not looking for translations at the moment
- The Word Document should be in Times New Roman font size 12, titled – ‘Your name – TBRCWAward2021’
- A regular grammar and spell check in your word processor is strongly recommended
- You should be at least 18 years of age at the time of submission
- A copy of your government issued photo ID is compulsory
- A professional bio of yourself (max 150 words) including work experience, publications, education, certifications, if any (with relevant links)
₹1,000 / $15 for each entry. (You will be required to upload payment proof in the application form)
The fee is waived for you if:
- You are below the age of 23
- You have taken our Creative Writing Workshop
- You have been published in The Bombay Review in Issue 33 or later
If any of the above apply to you, attach a word document stating your category with relevant link or ID proof with age, at the ‘Please upload proof of fee payment’ option in the Application Form.
Not able to pay the fee? Write to us! Fee waivers available! Mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Applicants outside India: Pay via Paypal / Card
- For Indian Applicants: Pay via UPI / Card / NEFT
Note, ‘the purpose of payment’ should be ‘Your Name – TBRCWAwards2021 Fee’
Terms and conditions
- Each entrant retains the copyright in their entry. However each entrant grants to The Bombay Review, a perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free licence to publish, broadcast, communicate and make available the entry in all media and in all formats throughout the world, including but not limited to:
(i) publishing the entry in the Anthology,
(ii) publishing the entry on the Website, and
(iii) publishing the entry elsewhere online and on any other platforms (whether now known or yet to be envisaged). This licence will be deemed to include all the necessary rights and permissions to enable such use by The Bombay Review, to fulfill the prizes and to complete the administration of the Award.
- Each entrant agrees that the magazine may at its sole discretion edit, adapt, abridge or modify the entry for the purpose listed in clause (a) above.
- Each entrant, warrants that the entry is original and that nothing in the entry will infringe the copyright or any other intellectual property right of any third party or defame any third party. Content found to be plagiarized will face strict action from the jury.
- The entry fee is non refundable.
- The decision of the The Bombay Review will be final and cannot be contested.
- By submitting your application you agree to let us use your bio, submitted writing, name and likeness on our platform and social media for promotional purposes.
- Please keep a copy of your submission with you. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Bombay Review is proud to champion new writing talent and supports its writing alumni beyond the Prize, offering print and digital publicity and continued exposure across our channels.