Poetry at The Bombay Review
Advanced – 8 / month
Beginners – 7 / month
Who can participate?
Anybody with an interest in writing, reading and all things words. Applicants will be put into two categories: Beginners (No publication) and Advanced (Publication)
Have you written one more pieces of poetry, and are not sure what to do with it?
Do you want to be guided and edited by a leading literary magazine?
How about a chance to read your work at our readings that have happened or are upcoming in more than 30 countries?
Do you want to be in the company of some great writers?
How would it feel to have your piece(s) read by tens of thousands of people?
Curious about things that make good writing stand apart from all the others that swarm the internet?
TAKE THE CREATIVE WRITING WORKSHOP
INFORMATION ABOUT COST, PROCESS, DELIVERABLE BELOW
Want to take the workshop? Glad to have you on board!
If you have reached here through our email to you, please know that we will only be publishing writers who have been selected by us in the Advanced/Experienced category. Fill the form to reserve your place. We only have a few slots for publication per month. Here is how the process looks like:
From your end:
- If you have landed on this workshop page from our reply to your submission email, you already have a poetry piece(s) ready and that we liked! If you don’t, write 3 poems (length no bar), and upload it in our form.
- Use a word processor to clean formatting, and do a spell check.
- You are advised to read previous issues of the magazine to have an idea of what we look for.
- General submission guidelines can be found here.
- Your submission can made only through this Google Form
- Based on your writing, we will put you in either of the two categories: Beginner or Advanced.
- What does that mean?
Beginner: You are new to having your writing published in a professional magazine (You have less than 2 publications in magazines/journals). We will guide you, discuss your work, do a comprehensive edit. We hope we will be able to raise your learning graph in the field of creative writing.
Advanced: You have probably been published before and have a general idea about the art of poetry writing. We will make edits, suggest new lines, suggest deletion, and more. Your work will be published in the ‘New and Upcoming Writing’ segment of the magazine.
- Once we have placed your work, we will wait for the payment to be made, before starting work.
Workshop and Publication:
- One of our editors will make changes, edits, and give comments on your writing. This will be a non interactive (Email/Google Docs) process, where we will discuss work with you.
- The editor might get on an email chat as well, critiquing your work, and giving you feedback on writing, style, and your genre.
- The back and forth communication between the writer and editor can go on for sometime, but we try our best to finish work within 14 days.
- After you, the writer, are convinced of the final draft, it will take us anywhere between 15 days to 60 days to publish your work.
Apart from our guidance we also offer:
- Reading material (Licensed and not available on the internet freely)
- Artwork design to go with your poetry
- Media on the craft of writing, reading, and having your work considered professionally
(Please note this is not a class, and all communication will happen via email)
If you have been offered publication from our side – you name will also appear on the digital cover of New Writing issue.
Cost of the Workshop
Calculated per poem
Are you in Advanced category? You can consider the cost a sum total of feedback and editing fee, art, production, publication, award fee waiver and your name on the cover of the magazine. Wow, eh.
Beginner (Non Publication): USD 75 / INR 5,600 / EUR 65
Advanced I (With Publication): USD 50 / INR 3,750 / EUR 42
Advanced II (With Publication): USD 75 / INR 5,600 / EUR 65
Each additional poem is considered at half / 50% of the above rates.
Participate and send your poetry to us now!
For queries: email us at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
You will be in great company with us! Writers who have been involved with or published in The Bombay Review have had their work appear in some stellar avenues!
Entries part of our Workshop are considered for our annual creative writing awards for the best of work published by us in New & Upcoming Writing.